Horley Primitive Methodist chapel
The laying of the foundation stone of Horley Primitive Methodist chapel in the Croydon Mission is recorded by E Illingworth in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
Initial services had been held in the kitchen of Mr and Mrs Finch but G Gowland (London) laid the stone as the base of a new chapel. He also paid for the cost of the land which was near the railway station.
Speakers at the ceremony on 29th May 1860 were Messrs G.Goddard, Harland, Ford, Kingdon, Loxton, Holmes and E Illingworth.
The actual opening took place on October 2nd 1860. The new chapel measured 32′ 6″ x 24′ and cost £290 of which they had raised £100. Those involved included Rev. W. Mottram, Rev. R. Davies of London, Messrs J. Goddard, Davies, Walton, Wilkinson and Illingworth. John Ford who wrote the opening up in the Primitive Methodist magazine describes Surrey as “morally a barren soil”
Where was the chapel?
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1860 page 555
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1861 page 46