Norbiton Primitive Methodist chapel

Victoria Hall Victoria Road KINGSTON UPON THAMES KT1 3DW

Victoria Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Norbiton was one of three Primitive Methodist chapels in Kingston on Thames, the others being on Richmond Road and an iron church in Arlington Road.

The 1885 Primitive Methodist magazine records  the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel in Norbiton. It replaced the former Ebenezer Strict Baptist chapel which the Connexion had bought in 1871 and which they pulled down to build the new chapel. The “vigorous” Norbiton society  had raised over half the cost..

The chapel was sold to Kingston Polytechnic in 1966 when a new Methodist church was built at the junction of Fairfield Road and Avenue Road.  The former chapel became part of Kingston University. In 2015 it is Active Learning, a nursery.

In August 2016 although Active Learning still occupies part of the premises, it has been converted into flats and is called Hugh Bourne House.  Although one is too hard to read clearly, it still carries foundation stones naming:

  • Albert S. Senior
  • William Tickner
  • Ladies Sewing Circle
  • School and Choir

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1885 page 760

former Norbiton Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1994
former Norbiton PM chapel
Christopher Hill 2016
former Norbiton PM chapel front: Hugh Bourne House
Christopher Hill 2016
2017 nameplate on former Norbiton Primitive Methodist chapel
Christopher Hill October 2017

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *