Brighton High Street Primitive Methodist chapel
High Street BRIGHTON BN2 1QY
The Primitive Methodist chapel in High Street, Kemp Town was built as the Gordon Mission in 1886 to a Gothic style design by W S Parnacott. In 1895 it became the Primitive Methodist chapel.
After Primitive Methodist use it was used by Christian Brethren then Greek Orthodox. It has been converted into flats – Windsor Lodge.
But it is not quite as straightforward as that. The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1887 tells of the opening of a new chapel in High Street Brighton to replace the Old Broad Street chapel. This was 10 years before they acquired the High Street chapel in the picture. The chapel was free from debt. What’s the story?
Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1887 page 188