Westfield Primitive Methodist chapel
New Cut, Westfield TN35 4RG
T Spalding laid the foundation stone for a new chapel at Westfield on May 13th 1865. and the chapel opened on July 2nd. Preachers at the opening celebrations (with the compulsory tea meeting) included Revs GH Fowler (who wrote about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine), W Freear, M Salt, R Down, and Messrs Catt, Martin and Mepham.
The new chapel measured 21′ x 32′, had both pews and forms, and cost £167 of which they had raised £63. The seats let well and a Sunday school was formed. Donors included T Spalding, E Catt, R Jenner, Mrs Burgess and J Newton. Fuller and Smith carted 16,000 bricks and Thomas Elworthy drew up the plans and surveyed the construction, all for free.
On the 1909 Ordnance Survey map, a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on New Cut. . By the 1929 map and in 1947 it is marked as a Mission Hall. On Street View in 2009 and 2011 it is in residential use, called the Old Mission Hall.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 page 44-45