Aberavon; Bethel Primitive Methodist


Bethel was a Primitive Methodist church; the cause began in 1841 when a private house on Cwmavon Road, Aberavon was used for worship, which was replaced by a chapel on Wern Street in 1851. A new chapel on High Street, Bethel, was opened in 1900. In 1963 Bethel was demolished to make way for the new motorway through Port Talbot.

Archives Network Wales

Comments about this page

  • The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1852 contains an account by Joseph Hibbs of the opening of the 1851 Aberavon Primitive Methodist chapel. Aberavon was re-missioned in 1849 and attendances were more than the house initially used for meetings could hold.  The society at some expense twice lost sites for a new chapel before signing a 94 year lease on a third.

    Opening services and tea meetings were held from Friday October 24th 1851. “Practical, pointed and convincing” preachers included Rev T Hobson (Bath), Rev D Davies (Baptist, Swansea), Rev J Best (Tredegar) and Rev GP Evans. The preaching bore fruit.

    The chapel was 39′ x 29′ and 20′ high, well ventilated, built of best quality stone and slate and had a good boarded floor. The cost was expected to be £170 when completed of which £60 had been promised.

    The society expected to grow “as the English population is increasing very much” and a Sunday school would be commenced as soon as possible


    Primitive Methodist magazine February 1852 pp112-113

    By Christopher Hill (27/01/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.