Cardiff Canton Primitive Methodist chapel

Severn Road, Canton, Cardiff, CF11 9FE

former Cardiff Severn Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Michael Statham 2020
Cardiff Canton Primitive Methodist chapel

The 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stone for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Canton, Cardiff.

Thank you to Michael Statham  for locating the chapel in Severn Road and supplying a picture..  It is now flats known as Amberley House..

This is the account:

“Foundation Laying at Canton, Cardiff.—The foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist New Chapel, Canton, near Cardiff, was laid on Wednesday, November 4th, 1803. The members and friends assembled in our preaching-room and formed a procession, and sang an appropriate hymn as they walked to the spot.

George Smart, Esq , laid the foundation stone. A short sermon was afterwards preached by the Rev. R. Bently in the Baptist chapel, and a tea meeting was held at 5 o’clock, when about 300 partook of the refreshing beverage. A very large public meeting took place at 7, presided over by G. Smart, Esq., when several very excellent addresses were delivered. The whole of the services were well attended. A gracious influence appeared to rest upon them.

The land—38ft. wide and 75ft. long (freehold) —for which we have to pay £120, is in the most central part of Canton. The situation is everything ire could desire. The chapel is to be 35ft. by 41ft., so that there will be ample room for enlargement or a school room at a future time. Mr. Lambert, of Bristol, has drawn our plan and specifications.

We expect the whole to cost about £500. H. Jones, Esq., has promised £10; G. Smart. Esq., has given £5 ; J Cary, Esq., has promised 5 per cent, upon all we collect : R. Gary, Esq., has promised us something handsome. Several of our members and trustees have promised to give or collect among them £80. We thank God and take courage. P. Maddocks.”

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 116-117

Comments about this page

  • Thanks Michael: page duly enhanced.

    By Christopher Hill (22/08/2020)
  • A very similar account appears in The Cardiff Times 6 Nov 1863. The building was subject to some alterations by Edwin Seward (a very prominent Cardiff architect) in 1894. See Glamorgan Archives at BC/S/1/9951 for plan.

    The chapel is in Severn Road and is now flats.
    See
    https://www.jeffreyross.co.uk/property/amberley-house-severn-road-canton-cardiff-14365170/

    By Michael Statham (21/08/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *