Dowlais Primitive Methodist chapel
Dowlais Primitive Methodist chapel in the Tredegar circuit was opened in 1846.
In the 1855 Primitive Methodist Magazine there is an account by Joseph Hibbs of the re-opening of the chapel on October 7th and 8th, 1855, when Mr. John Edwards, the Rev. G. P. Evans, Baptist minister of Swansea, and Joseph Hibbs, preached in English ; the Revs. T. Rees and B. Williams, Independent ministers, preached in Welsh. The afternoon service was held in a large Welsh Independent chapel, kindly lent for the occasion. The services were attended with a Divine influence, and £11 was collected.
What happened to the chapel and where was it? The Old Maps are not clear and there is a very large number of chapels per square mile! Thanks to Howard Richter for unscrambling the question:
This was at SO 0653 0779 or thereabouts:
on the west side of Wind Street, north-west of Upper Union Street (NB. The Old maps site is no longer freely accessible)
It is noted by the RCAHMW here:
The building appears to survive on the 1900 25-inch map, but it is not marked in any way.
There is no trace of it under any likely label in the 1940 list of Methodist buildings.
The line of Wind Street, looking north-west from Union Street, is here:
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1855 p.751