Knighton Primitive Methodist chapel
Broad Street, Knighton
The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1852 contains an account by Joseph Hutchings of the opening of Knighton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Presteign circuit.
Previously the society had been at a disadvantage because it met in “a room over some stables which, in the summer, proved very offensive.” In the winter of 1851-2 there was a revival, so the society went to “John Wilson, Esq., who gave us the land, laid the foundation-stone, and presented us with five sovereigns.”
The new chapel was opened on May 30th 1852 when sermons were preached by the Rev. J.Richards, of Pontypool, and the Rev. J. Middleton, 0f Ludlow. On the Monday, between 400 and 500 persons sat down to tea in the new buildings. They were addressed by the Rev. J. Richards, the Rev. B.Owen, Baptist minister, and the Rev.J. Middleton.
The chapel was 42 feet long, 24 feet wide, 16 feet high, built of stone and with a slate roof. The floor was oak – a quality above the usual board floor. Mr Bright of Woodhouse hauled the lime. It cost £185 of which they had raised £97. The rest was lent at no interest by the trustees. Special thanks went to John Wilson, Esq, to Charles Edwards, Esq., of Skyberry, and to the family of the late Mr.Bright, of Woodhouse.
It seems as though the chapel did not live long. In the December 1860 Primitive Methodist magazine laying the foundation stone of a new Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded. Whilst this might be an additional chapel, or an a different Knighton – there are several – there is an explanation in the account. It appears the first chapel had to be demolished to allow the building of a railway line.
The stone was laid by James Notts of the Furlongs and H Lote (London) was the architect. Preachers at the opening included J. Huff, Joseph Middleton, E. Williams, George Middleton (minister), T. Brothwood, J. Nott, E. Cowdall, and the Revs. T. Brothwood,J. Hunt, E. Williams, and H. Higginson (Wesleyan). Isaac D. Butler, was the treasurer and John Wilson, secretary.
A Primitive Methodist chapel (which became a Methodist church in due course) can be traced on Ordnance Survey maps; it is still labelled on Ordnance Survey maps in 1977 but has disappeared by 1989. On Google Earth and Street View in September 2011 it looks as though the building still exists. Can you confirm this?
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1852 p.623
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1860 page 742-743