Llangrwyney (Glangrwyney) Primitive Methodist chapel
There’s an account in the 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine of the laying of the foundation stone of Llangrwyney Primitive Methodist chapel and its subsequent opening. Village names – and Welsh names spelled in English in particular – often change over the years; by the 1904 Ordnance Survey map Llangrwyney (or Llangrwyne ) had become Glangrwyney. That said, the only chapel I can find on the village maps is a Particular Baptist chapel called Providence.
Where was the Prim chapel and what happened to it?
Here is the account:
“Chapel Opening — Abergavenny Mission.—Dear Editor,—It will doubtless be interesting to you and your numerous readers to hear we are doing a little upon this station in chapel building. Llangrwyney was missioned by us about eighteen months since by preaching in the open air, a goodly number attended, and gave good attention to the Word. From that time we continued preaching through the summer until late in the fall of last year, out of doors, the writer often preaching in the dark or by the light of the moon ; at last a small cottage was offered, in which we conducted service (not always under the most pleasant circumstances), until the spring of the present year, when we took our position again out of doors.
William Parry, sen., Esq.. kindly gave land, and in May last laid the corner-stone of a new chapel in the presence of a large assembly ; after which J. Lambert, Esq., of Bristol, preached an excellent sermon. Tea was provided in a marquee ; upwards of 200 persons partook of the same. A very interesting service was conducted in the evening.
The plans and specifications were prepared and presented to the trustees by Mr. J. Lambert, of Bristol, who has rendered us valuable service during the erection, and also presented a beautiful hymn book for the rostrum.
The opening services commenced on September 27th, 1863, the Rev. C. T. Harris, of Pontypool, preached morning and evening, and the Rev. R. Johns, Baptist minister, in the afternoon. On October 4th the Rev. G. Doe, of Newport, preached morning and evening, and Mr. J. Lambert in the afternoon. On Monday, October 5th, the Rev. Mr. Bun, Independent minister of Abergavenny, preached in the afternoon, after which tea was provided in a marquee ; about 200 persons sat down. In the evening addresses were delivered in the chapel.
The chapel measures 18 feet from the floor to the ceiling, 28 feet by 22 feet in the clear, and will accommodate about 160 persons. The entire cost will be about £220, one third of which will be raised within nine months of the opening.
The undertaking has been felt to be a great one ; and the success is cheering when we consider the tide of opposition we have had to contend with, and that at the opening we had not a member in society at this place : nevertheless, God gave us favour in the eyes of the people of the neighbourhood, who have nobly come forward to our help. Three have joined society since the opening, and others are manifesting earnestness for the Word of Life. The congregation is improving ; we have a prospect of raising a good society in the place ; those who opposed us are now falling out among themselves, which is likely to turn in our favour.
It was impossible to get hold here without a chapel, the influence of the clergy being so great. Other parties had tried before us, but had been frustrated in their designs. We desire to tender our sincere thanks to W_Parry. sen., Esp., for the land; to J. Lambert, Esq., for his gratuitous services: and to all friends who have helped us in any way, praying that God may bless them and us, and make this chapel the birth-place of many souls. G. Smith”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 pages 50-51