Rhosymedre PM Chapel, nr Wrexham, Wales

oldest chapel still in use in the circuit

Rhosymedre Primitive Methodist chapel, built 1840, the oldest chapel still in use in the circuit (August 2012) - once itself the head of a circuit.

Comments about this page

  • The 1835 chapel was enlarged and improved in 1860. All the ¬£100 cost was met by the society and friends. Preachers at the re-opening from October 14th included¬†Rev. J. Morton, of Brierley Hill, J. Adams and Rev. T. Bramall. H Wheeler writes about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine of January 1860 (page 48-49)

    By Christopher Hill (08/03/2018)
  • There’s an account in the 1835 Primitive Methodist magazine (p.269) of the opening of Rhosymedre Primitive Methodist chapel. The opening took place on 7th and 8th July 1833 when the preachers were J Brittain, T P and R P (of the Oswestry Circuit) and Revs Williams and Jones, Independent ministers.  

    The account reports that Primitive Methodism started here in 1832 when Mrs Williams had the school and services in her house, but it became too small. 

    By Christopher Hill (15/05/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *