Tallarn Green (Talwrn Green) Primitive Methodist Chapel 1887 Peters' Memorial
Second chapel 1887
In Tallarn Green the Primitive Methodists first met in their houses. Then they moved into a barn for meetings. This was in the 1830s. The present chapel is the third place of Methodist worship in the village. The first chapel built in 1846 was known as ‘Chapel down the Lane’. It was sold in 1889 and became the Temperance Hall. The PM plaque on it was turned round and engraved ‘Temperance Room 1890’. It remains like that in 2015. Later the building was bought back by the Methodists and used as a Sunday School. It was sold on again and in 2015 has been converted into a dwelling.
The present building erected in 1887 was built in memory of John and Mary Peters two local preachers who lived in the Old Post Office. Unfortunately they did not live long enough to see the building completed. There is a memorial to them inside. They are buried in an unmarked grave at St.Mary Magdalene nearby.
The land for the present chapel cost £27 and the building cost £500. It was registered as a place of worship in September 1888. A few years later in 1894 Thomas Leadsom sold land to the Methodists for a burial ground. It cost them £10. Thomas Leadsom and his family are buried there. A schoolroom was built in 1905 and later still a field at the side of the chapel was purchased for a graveyard extension. The rest of this land eventually became a car park and playing field
Photos taken 2013 and 2015
You can read more about the 1846 Talwrn Green (Tallarn Green) Primitive Methodist Chapel, complete with more pictures on this page.
OS Map Ref: 117 : SJ445442