Bascote Primitive Methodist chapel
Primitive Methodist meetings at Bascote are mentioned in the Banbury/Leamington circuit records in 1850 but were not recorded in the 1851 religious census. A small chapel for 70 was built in 1872, at a cost of £106; the debt had been paid off by 1895. It was ‘key-hold’ rather than freehold. It appears on OS maps from the 1880s to 1950s and just once in a Warwickshire trade directory.
The chapel must have lapsed at one point because it re-opened in 1894. In 1900 there was an average attendance of 40 adults and a Sunday School. Accounts survive showing that they had a harmonium, lamps and a stove. They operated on a shoestring: the balance in hand was usually less than £1 and at most just over £5. Mrs Wincote cleaned the chapel from 1899-1903; the chapel was used until 1917, when the Minister was John Bennett.
The building was sold in 1927-8 and has now been demolished: maps suggest it was in front of what is now Rose Cottage.
Sources: WCRO: PM Circuit minutes and reports CR 1688/46, 53, 59, 67-8; Accounts CR 252b/3 1899-1921; F. White & Co., History, Gazetteer and Directory of Warwickshire, Sheffield, 1874, p. 958; OS maps.