Bayton Primitive Methodist chapel
Bayton Road Industrial Estate CV7 9QN
The opening of is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1863
“Bayton chapel, Coventry circuit. Having obtained the approval of the quarter day board, and the sanction of the Building Committee, we purchased a suitable plot of land, obtained a deed, and settled it on the Connexion. Everything being prepared, the foundation-stone was laid on the 4th of May, by J. Darlington, Esq., who with the Rev. H. Heys and W. Peacefull delivered suitable addresses; afterwards a tea-meeting was held, when the sum of £13 2s. was realised.
The opening services commenced on the 18th of June, when the Rev. W. Antliff, of London, officiated, and we realized a sum of nearly £5. On the 28th of June, the Rev. J. Prosser, of Wrockwardine Wood, preached two sermons. The collections on this day and on the Monday following produced a sum of £13. The amount collected in various ways is £61.
The cost of enlargement is from £120 to £130, so that we have already got half the outlay. We desire to express our thanks to Mr. Darlington for his services and subscription of £2 ; to the Exhall colliery for the donation of £10, and to our kind friends for their exertions and liberality. We hope that the glory of the new house will exceed that of the old one. W. Peacefull.”
The 1888 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel named Bethesda chapel in what was then Little Bayton and is now on Bayton Road Industrial Estate, adjacent to the roundabout where Bayton Road meets Stephenson Road. The chapel is there on the 1975 map.
Thanks to Anne Langley for further information:
Exhall: Little Bayton A small group of Primitive Methodist miners were meeting in Exhall soon after 1819. They purchased a plot of land to build a chapel in 1849, but surprisingly do not appear in the religious census of 1851. They were certainly meeting regularly in 1852, with afternoon and evening services on Sunday, an evening meeting on Thursdays and a salvation meeting planned in November. W. Smith was Society Steward, whilst preacher S. Crew lived at Exhall Green.
The PM magazine reports that a chapel opened in ‘Bayton’ on 18th June 1863 (so it appears that plans for a chapel in 1849 fell through).
In 1909 they held a camp meeting, flower services and a Christmas Tree display.
In 1933 they were still going strong with two services on Sundays and ‘Adult Bible Classes’ on Tuesdays. It was part of the Coventry circuit that did not join the Wesleyan Methodists until 1945.
A ‘neat brick’ chapel is recorded in trade directories in 1850 and 1874 and a ‘Bethesda’ PM chapel appears on OS maps from the 1880s and 1900s on an un-named road off Little Sydnall Lane (the latter now Bayton Road). The chapel was worth £450 in 1934 and had no debt (unlike most other local PM chapels).
By the 1950s it was still in use as a Methodist chapel, but has since been demolished. The colliery closed in the early 20th century. Sources: Michael Harris: PM Preachers’ Plan Coventry Circuit 1852-3. White’s Warwickshire trade directories, OS maps; Coventry Archives: 287/405, 628/15, J. Hall, Coventry Methodism.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 631
Anne Langley’s sources:
PM Preachers’ Plan Coventry Circuit 1852-3;
White’s Warwickshire trade directories;
Coventry Archives: 287/405, 628/15;
J. Hall, Coventry Methodism.