Brinklow Primitive Methodist chapel
Broad St, Brinklow CV23 0LN
The Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1853 contains an account by Thomas Worrill of the opening of Brinklow Primitive Methodist chapel in the Rugby mission of the Leicester circuit.
A society in the village of around 500-600 people had been established previously and in the spring of 1852 D Watts and D Harris bought a house and garden in the village at auction for £130. A chapel 25′ x 18′ was erected in one end of the garden, built of red brick, with a slate roof and a red deal floor. The entire cost was £240 although the house brought in £7/10/0 each year.
At the opening (no date given) sermons were preached by W Watts, W Richardson and W Price.
The chapel is marked on the 1887 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map but not on later ones.
Anne Langley provides further information about the Brinklow society.
“The Primitive Methodists had a meeting house in Broad St. in 1826 and a chapel seating 50 people was ‘taken for worship’ in 1845. Details were recorded in the 1851 religious census: there were three services on Sunday with attendance of up to 55 people, but no Sunday School at that time. The Steward was David Harris, a local shopkeeper (possibly related to Joseph Harris the minister at Bedworth and Bulkington nearby). A new chapel was built in 1852.
Brinklow’s attendances remained low and it was to be re-missioned in 1880. A tract recalls the deathbed experiences of Mary Harris – a local Primitive Methodist preacher. The chapel appears in Warwickshire trade directories from 1854 to 1892 and on the 1st edition 25” OS map (1880s) in Broad Street, just south of Barr Lane, but not on subsequent maps. It belonged to the Rugby circuit. The building appears to have been demolished since then.
Sources: religious census HO 129.401.1.2.3; OS maps; ‘Brynca’s Low: A History of the village of Brinklow’, 1995 p. 33; site visit 2018; NCRO: DRMC/32, 35, 591, 728.”
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1853 pp.122-123