Foleshill Holbrooks Lane (Oldbrooks) Primitive Methodist chapel
Foleshill, Holbrooks Lane The 1851 religious census records that Oldbrooks [as it was called then] chapel (built in 1847) had 50 sittings; 41 people attended the afternoon service and 38-42 children the 3 Sunday School services. The form was completed by chapel manager, weaver John Dalton. In 1852, they were holding afternoon and evening services on Sundays plus an evening one on Mondays. They were to hold a Salvation and an Anniversary meeting in October; J. Dalton was the Society Steward. The congregation belonged to the Paradise Foleshill circuit that rejoined The Methodist Church in 1945.
A Primitive Methodist chapel appears on Warwickshire Ordnance Survey maps (1880s-1900s) on Parkgate Road (near where the primary school now stands). The building had been demolished by the 1950s, but a stone plaque dated 1847 was rescued and relocated behind the Holbrooks Evangelical Church (20 Parkgate Road): this is not accessible to the general public but may still be there.
1851 religious census for Warwickshire, HO 129.322.214.171.124;
Warwickshire OS maps;
Primitive Methodist Preachers’ Plan Coventry Circuit 1852-3;
Victoria County History for Warwickshire, Vol. 8 p. 392;