Grandborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Church Road Grandborough Rugby CV23 8DH

former Grandborough Primitive Methodist chapel, now the Methodist church | Anne Langley 2017
former Grandborough Primitive Methodist chapel, now the Methodist church
Anne Langley 2017

Grandborough Primitive Methodist chapel in the Leamington circuit was opened on July 6th and 7th 1856 to serve a neighbourhood of around 500 [people.  The village had been missioned for the Connexion some twenty years earlier by Messrs. Leaker and Langham. Subsequently, services were held in brother E. Tims house, and in time the society bought a part of brother Tims’s garden to be the site of the chapel.

Preachers at the opening were Rev. G. Warner, of Malmesbury, Rev. J. Webb, Baptist minister, of Thullerstone and Rev. A. Smith, Baptist minister, of Branstone. “On Monday a tea-meeting was held; and although it was a busy time, being hay harvest, we had ninety persons to tea.”  The celebrations were recorded by H Platt in the Primitive Methodist Magazine of 1856.

The chapel is still active in 2017 as Grandborough Methodist church.

There is more about the chapel on the Grandborough village website


Reference

Grandborough village website accessed April 2nd 2017 http://www.grandborough.info/html/chapel.html 

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1856 pp.552-553

 

 

Comments about this page

  • Thanks to Anne Langley for providing a photo of the chapel as it is now.

    By Christopher Hill (11/01/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone