Anne Langley has provided the following information:
Newbold on Stour & Ettington This was part of the Stratford circuit. The chapel stands in Newbold on Stour (which was in Worcs. until 1931). The initial congregation are recorded in an attendance book that survives from 1864-69 and other records at SCLA suggest they were active until 1876, and then revived from 1899 onwards.
It is said the PMs were meeting in a cottage kitchen in the early 20th century (with the preacher sitting on a copper!). There is no sign of a chapel on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps (1880s & 1900s) nor in Worcestershire trade directories.
A Gothic-style red-brick chapel was built for 200 people on the main road in 1910 at a cost of £500. This building includes a number of commemorative stone plaques (several dated July 7th 1910, presumably the opening date) with the names of the President and Vice-President of the PM National Conference: S. Henshaw and J. Sivil Esq, also the Rev. F. C. Watts President of Free Church Council, plus local worthies: Mr. J. Collins, Miss Batsford, E. Adams Esq, Mrs W Adams, Miss Adams, three from Stratford on Avon: Mrs J. Wright, Mr. J.H. Knight and Mrs. H.F. Stretch and someone from Birmingham [possibly W. Spencer]. There are two memorial plaques either side of the entrance in memory of Mary A. Spencer and Esther Spencer. Sadly, some of these plaques are in poor condition.
The chapel became a Methodist Church after the re-union but was found noisy (on a busy road); the building still stands but has now been sold and is currently used by therapists and a project management firm. It is located on the corner between Chapel Lane and Stratford Road.
SCLA attendance book DR 147/2/33;
VCH for Warwickshire, 1949, Vol. V p. 78;
Kelly’s Warwickshire trade directories 1932-40;
The Warwickshire Village Book, Warwickshire Federation of WIs, Countryside Books, 1988, p. 110.
Site visit in 2019.