Tysoe Primitive Methodist chapel
Back Lane Upper Tysoe CV35 0SJ
Anne Langley has provided the following information:
Tysoe. The 1851 religious census records the Primitive Methodists meeting in part of a house with an attendance of 70 at the services but no Sunday School. A chapel was subsequently built in Back Lane. It was part of the Kineton circuit. It appears in trade directories from 1874-1932 and on 1st & 2nd edition OS maps (1880s-1900s) and as a chapel on the 1st edition 1955 map.
It was attended on occasion by Joseph Ashby and his family in the late 19th century; his daughter also describes going to Camp Meetings where ‘services were conducted from bough-decked wagons’. The building has now disappeared and new homes, made of the local ironstone, have been built on the site, suggesting that the original chapel may also have been of stone.
religious census HO 129.406.4.9.4;
Warwickshire trade directories and OS maps;
M.K. Ashby, Joseph Ashby of Tysoe, 1974, pp. 77-82, 202;
site visit 2017.