Kendal, Spital View, Primitive Methodist Mission Hall (Job Pennington Memorial), Westmorland

Grid Ref SD 513926

Kendal, Spital View, Primitive Methodist Mission Hall (Job Pennington Memorial)
G W Oxley
Kendal, Spital View, Primitive Methodist Mission Hall (Job Pennington Memorial)
G W Oxley

Comments about this page

  • The Primitive Methodist magazine of January 1899 (page 77) includes an extended account of the work of Job Pennington, “a man of apostolic piety and zeal, and untiring labour.” He did “incalculable good in the town in which he was born.”

    The Prims had missioned for 50 years “in a part of the town where the poor most do congregate” but they had to give up the rented room they had been using – and the momentum to replace it with the Job Pennington Memorial Mission Hall gained impetus with generous donations. Construction was due to start in spring of 1899.

    By Christopher Hill (20/10/2021)
  • Kendal, Fellside (Job Penningtom Memorial) Chapel was erected in 1899. In 1940 the chapel had seating for 120 on chairs. There was also a schoolroom and two other rooms.  It continues in use as a Methodist place of worship.

    Sources

    Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

    Site visit 15 April 2016

    By GW Oxley (21/04/2016)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *