Kendal, Castle Street PM Chapel, Westmorland

Kendal, Castle Street Chapel (roughly opposite The Castle Inn) was built in 1823. In 1851 it had 110 free and 90 lettable sittings as well as standing room for 90. It was closed when Blackhall Yard was opened in 1871 and converted into three cottages. There is an image in Bryer, p.14

Sources: The National Archives HO129/575/4/9

Carlisle Library, IC9 KEN 287 Bryer, T Percy, A History of Methodism in Kendal, Kirby Lonsdale and Sedbergh, 1987

Site visit 19.11.2016

Kendal, Castle Street PM Chapel, successor buildings, 19.11.2016
G W Oxley
Kendal ; Return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
transcribed by David Tonks

Comments about this page

  • There is a report of the opening of Kendal Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1823 Primitive Methodist magazine. Preachers at the opening on Sunday 19th October 1823 were William Clowes, who submitted the account, and Brother Gothard. The new chapel was part of the Hull circuit.

    An update on the opening of the Sunday school written by JG is in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1825.

    Reference:
    Primitive Methodist magazine of 1824 page 96
    Primitive Methodist magazine of 1825 page 28

    By Christopher Hill (30/08/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *