Allington Primitive Methodist chapel

Newton Toney Road Allington SALISBURY SP4 0DA

Allington Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1989
Return from Allington Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
Provided by David Tonks

The Wiltshire Community History website says that in 1833 a house in Allington was certified for use by the Primitive Methodists.  Allington Primitive Methodist chapel was opened ten years later in 1843 as shown on the stone on the chapel.

The building was rendered with cob walls and patent tile roof and was actually converted from an 18th century cottage. It had a large window in the front wall and a gallery at the north end with a balustrade front. Inside there is a monument to John Young, dated 1818 and his widow, Mary. In 1851 the chapel’s congregations were larger than the church and the 1851 census survey shows 41 attending the chapel in the morning and 46 in the afternoon. By 1864 half of the inhabitants of Allington were Primitive Methodists but they would also attend the church services.

At the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1989 and on Google Street View in 2009 the chapel is still in use.  However, in 2014 it was for sale as a two bedroomed house.

Comments about this page

  • Up until the 1950’s the chapel was thatched. The stone memorial was placed in the chapel as the vicar at the time would not allow it in the local churchyard.

    By Adrian dyer (23/09/2023)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.