Barford Primitive Methodist chapel

West Street Barford St. Martin SALISBURY SP3 4AH

Barford St Martin Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1992
Barford St Martin Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1992

Barford St Martin is one of the villages in the Nadder valley to the west of Wilton.  The Primitive Methodist chapel on West Street is no longer in use but clearly proclaims the date 1902 in the arch over the central window.

  • There is a bit of confusion in the the notes with Keith Guyler’s photograph which say that the chapel was opened in 1869 and closed in 1902; it appears his notes relate to a previous chapel.
  • The Wiltshire Community History website says that “By 1830 a group of Primitive Methodists were meeting here and were strong enough to build a chapel. A certificate for a meeting house was issued in 1931 and they continued to meet here. In 1932 both branches of Methodism, Wesleyans and Primitives, united and this became the Barford Methodist Chapel. It is no longer in use.”  Is the 1931 date inaccurate?

Can anyone explain this?

On Google Street View in June 2011 it is in use as a house.


Reference:

Wiltshire Community History website accessed August 6th 2015

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone