The return from Broad Chalke Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship was completed by John White of Broad Chalk (near the church).
He reported that 70 people attended the afternoon service and 85 attended the evening one on Census Sunday.. The chapel had been opened in 1843.
Thanks to Martin Reeves for continuing the story and providing the photo of the chapel which comes from a postcard, date and publisher not known.
The chapel appears on 1889 and 1926 OS maps in South Street. It was very unusual in having a thatched roof. Information from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre gives a closure date of approx. 1965 and a demolition date of 1970.