There is a return from a preaching place in Grittenham to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship. In addition to the usual return, Grittenham is one of three Primitive Methodist chapels (Great Somerford, Grittenham and Cleaverton Street ) listed in a note added on May 8th 1852 by the Registrar.
These returns must have been missing from the first batch sent to the Census Office and have been prepared in May 1852 by the Registrar. However there is actually a return for Grittenham dated, as it should be, 31 March 1851.
In time a chapel was built, costing £134 and opening in 1894. It was made of corrugated tin and served until sometime between 1955 and 1971. It was still visible on Street View in 2009, but has disappeared from Google satellite view by 2020.