Ogbourne St George Primitive Methodist chapel
Copse Drove, Ogbourne St George
The Primitive Methodist magazine for July 1852 contains an account by H Platt of the establishment of Ogborne St George Primitive Methodist chapel (now usually spelled Ogbourne).
Ogborne St George is described as a village of around 600 people on the chalk downs between Swindon and Marlborough. It was first missioned in 1829 by Mr Jukes and in 1851 “several souls were saved”. The cottages they worshipped in became too small, so they acquired a plot of land and built a small chapel.
The chapel was opened on 25th April 1852. Opening sermons were preached by Rev W Wilshaw of Newbury and Mr Hunt.
In May 1852 the certificate was granted for a ‘chapel and premises now in the holding and occupation of Samuel Reeve [stet], James Duck, Charles Lowden and James Stratton, all of them trustees.’
In 1860 the chapel was lengthened by 10′. The celebration services from April 22nd 1860 and tea meeting were addressed by Henry Hacker and George Warner.
Kelly’s Directory for 1911 reports that the chapel was then disused.
The 1852 account goes on to add that in Monday May 2nd 1852 a chapel at Hilcott was re-opened which seated 300. It had been acquired from the independents for a nominal rent. Wiltshire County History tells us that a decade after this (1864) the rector claimed about 40 parishioners attended the chapel. It was closed at some time between 1880 and 1885. You can see pictures on the Wiltshire Community History website
Wiltshire Community History website https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=1569 and https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=1342accessed February 7th February 2017
Primitive Methodist magazine July 1852 pp. 434-435
Primitive Methodist magazine July 1860 p. 434