The return from Fisherton Angar Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship was completed by James Harry, the Minister, of Chapel House, Fisherton. He reports an apparently thriving society, with attendances of 59 in the morning, 125 in the afternoon and 162 in the evening – all below the regular attendance! There was also a Sunday school with 28 morning and 42 evening scholars.
The chapel, which held 500 dated from 1826.
The 1845 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 79) contains a note about the opening of a new Sunday school building at Fisherton Street in February 1844.
The 1849 magazine tells us the chapel has just reopened after it and the preacher’s house were extended to hold 650 hearers. Donors included T Wall (MP), J Chaplin (MP) J Dolman (who drew up the plans), a lady (£50)
There’s a little more about this chapel on the Salisbury St Mark’s Road page.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1845 page 79
Primitive Methodist magazine 1849 page 563