Shaw Primitive Methodist chapel
Shaw, Swindon SN4
The Primitive Methodist magazine for August 1852 contains an account by Samuel Turner of Stratton of the opening of Shaw Primitive Methodist chapel. The services were held on June 13th 1852 with sermons by Isaac Humphries, Samuel Turner himself and Mr Thomas of the Independent chapel.
The land for the chapel had been given by the late Mr Sadler of Shaw. It measured 22′ x 16′, had a boarded floor and a slate roof and was surrounded by a stone wall and iron gate. It cost “only £68/16/10 and the trustees are placed in easy circumstances.”
The souvenir Official Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod held in 1910 records that:
“The first building was erected in 1852. In 1882 a new Church was built which was greatly due to the energy and work of Mr W. Bridgeman.
Number of sittings: 120
Number of members: 14
Total cost: £262
Present debt: Nil”
The 1882 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a report of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Shaw. It had cost £180.
Does the chapel still exist?
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1852 page 499
Primitive Methodist magazine 1882 page 761