Tytherington Primitive Methodist chapel
Tytherington BA12 7AE
Tytherington Primitive Methodist chapel was away from the main street, behind what is now New Cottages. It is labelled on Ordnance Survey maps until 1924, In 1942 the building is still there but unlabelled. By 1957 the building has gone.
In the 1863 Primitive Methodist magazine E Powell described the opening:
“Tytherington, FROME Circuit .—Tytherington is a small village in Wiltshire, about eleven miles from Frome. About thirty years ago our people visited it, to preach to the inhabitants the Word of Life. They laboured summer and winter in the open air, amidst much persecution from the farmers of the place, who did all they could to drive the preachers out of the village. Many acts of cruelty could be related by our early preachers and friends as having been committed on the humble servants of the Lord. But, not withstanding the severe and continued opposition, the cause has lived and grown.
A few years ago, after the society had been turned out of a cottage where they met to worship, and in many a dreary winter’s evening had held their service under a hedge, a small freehold cottage, with garden attached, was offered to them for sale, which they succeeded in purchasing, to the no small disappointment of their enemies. In this cottage they worshipped, though not altogether free from interruptions, until the early part of the summer of 1862, when God so abundantly poured out His Holy Spirit upon the people that the little cottage was too small to hold even those that came to join the society.
The friends therefore thought it was time for them to arise and build. Several pounds had previously been subscribed and deposited in the Warminster Bank. A tea meeting was held on the 21st of May last, and promises and subscriptions were received towards a new chapel. After some preliminary arrangements, the foundation stone was laid on the 21st of June, by the Rev. E. Powell.
The chapel, which I is an ornament to the village, was opened for Divine service on the 28th of September. A powerful prayer meeting was conducted at eight o’clock a.m., by Mr. Powell, and at half-past ten he preached. At half-past two and at six o’clock the Rev. J. Bennetts preached. On Monday, the 29th, a public tea meeting was held, at which eighty persons sat down. After the tea a public meeting was held, presided over by W. Forward, Esq., and addressed by the Revs. E. Powell and J. Bennetts, and C. F. Lane and J. Taylor, Esqrs. On Friday, the 10th of October, the opening services were continued, when the Rev. J. Butcher, of Hereford, preached two excellent sermons to favourable congregations.
Our poor friends have nobly contributed and collected towards the undertaking. The entire cost of the chapel is £111, towards which we have received £46, and we have £10 promised by the end of the year. That it may be the birth-place of many souls is our earnest prayer. E. Powell.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 113