Whiteparish Primitive Methodist chapel
Clay Street Whiteparish SP5 2ST
“Whiteparish is a village about seven miles from Salisbury on the Southampton road, containing a population of about sixteen hundred inhabitants. We have been much inconvenienced at this place for want of a suitable village in which to preach.
In October last we bought a plot of freehold land, and have built a neat brick chapel and cottage thereon. The chapel is 26 ft. by 18 ft. in the clear, and 14 ft. high from the floor to the wall-plate. It is fitted up with a neat pulpit, red deal floor, with oak sleepers, &c. It has folding-doors, four good windows, and a ventilator in the ceiling. There are twelve railback seats and ten plain benches.
This house of prayer was opened for divine worship on Sunday, April 14th, at half-past two and six o’clock, when the Rev. J. Herridge, of Southampton, preached to large congregations, and we trust good was done. On Monday, April 15th, we held a public tea-meeting, when about 120 people surrounded the festive board. The meeting, which we held afterwards, was addressed by Messrs. Parham, Herridge, Price, and Smith, Primitives ; and Messrs. Gwyre and Smith, Wesleyans.
The cost of the building, including land, deed, and enrolment, will be about £204. Towards this sum we have raised by donations, subscriptions, and opening services, nearly £47. We obtained several promises for the first anniversary. We hope to proceed with our collecting until we have raised the third of the cost. To all who have aided us in the erection of this sanctuary we present our grateful acknowledgments.
The chapel was located away from the main through the village in Clay Street, where Hopway Cottage is now. That could be the same building, adapted for residential use.
Wesleyan and Primitive branches of Methodism united in Whiteparish in 1940 and the Wesleyan chapel was the one to be retained. That has also closed to be come a holiday cottage, complete with snooker table (in 2018).
Primitive Methodist magazine July 1861 page 435