Witcha Primitive Methodist chapel
Witcha House, Witcha, Ramsbury SN8 2HQ
The former Witcha Primitive Methodist chapel is a Grade 2 llisted building in the garden of Witcha House, north east of Ramsbury. You can read about it, including a detailed description and historical context, on the Historic England website here.
The first reference to it is in the Primitive Methodist magazine, where S Turner describes its opening. Opening services and celebrations including a tea meeting for 180 took place from September 18th 1859. The services themselves had to be held in a field as there were too many people for the new chapel to hold.
Speakers included Messrs Turner, Knapp, Butcher, Phelps, Picket, Bell, Beal, Rev Joseph Drew (Baptist), Rev G Beale, J Davis (Independent) and S Turner. Lovegrove Waldron gave the land, and loaned the field for the meetings and the barn for the tea.
The chapel closed in the mid twentieth century.
Historic Engalnd website, accessed 20th November 2017 at: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392029
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1859 page 740-741