Catshill Primitive Methodist chapel
Golden Cross Lane, Catshill B61 0LG
The October 1850 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an article by Henry Leech, telling us about the opening of of Catshill Primitive Methodist chapel in the Birmingham circuit. It measured 30′ x 20’4″ x 12 ‘ high and cost £83/4/6. By the opening they had raised £40, including a donation of £10 from a John Wright Esq.
It opened from August 4th and opening preachers included H Leech, J Huff, T Calvert and B Blackham.
But it wasn’t straightforward. The Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1851 gives an update by J Huff on the opening. Although it had been started , it had been left unfinished for want of funds; however, in 1850 an anonymous benevolent gentleman gave £10 to complete it.
Catshill Methodist church is still active and the church website gives further information. It reports that “in 1831, the first Primitive Methodists met in a rented room in Barley Mow Lane in Catshill….From Barley Mow Lane the enthusiasts moved to Golden Cross Lane in 1851 when the first meeting house was opened in Vine Cottage, which still stands today just a few yards from the current building. It cost £95 7s 0d to acquire!”
The site gives further information about and pictures of the chapel built in 1866, a school room added n 1910 and the current church building of 1968.
Thanks to Dave Morgan, Senior Steward in 2020, for providing the pictures and the leaflet Catshill Methodist Church – a brief guide to its history
Primitive Methodist Magazine October 1850 page 628
Primitive Methodist Magazine for April 1851 page 247
Catshill Methodist church website accessed August 24th 2016