Langley; Edward Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

1896-2013

A cake made to celebrate the Diamond Anniversary of the church in 1956
Englesea Brook Museum

The first Primitive Methodist society met in an old workshop in Edward Street, which was later described as ‘a most unsuitable and inconvenient place’.  

This chapel was built in 1896, to accommodate 250, at a cost of about £600. It opened on November 15th.

In 1900, the chapel was in the Blackheath and Quinton Circuit, and Rev J. S. Stanwell, who lived in the Manse at Blackheath, was the minister.

In 1956, as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, an illuminated address was presented to Mrs P Taylor, ‘as a token of esteem’ for over 60 years loyal service. 

Circuits changed over the years and Edward Street moved into the Oldbury Circuit and ended its life in Birmingham (West) & Oldbury.

It closed in 2013.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *