Kerswell Green (Kempsey Green) Primitive Methodist Chapel (demolished)
Kerswell Green, Norton juxta Kempsey Civil Parish, Worcestershire
Location GR – SO 86084 46859
The Chapel was erected in 1854 according to Kelly’s, but no other confirmation as yet. The OS maps state it was Wesleyan for a period. This is not the case as the writer’s great grandfather WW Beck (steward at George Street PM) or his son MW Beck would take the preacher out to the Chapel in a horse and trap. The closure took place after 1956, no confirmation yet.
Kelly’s Directory 1892 Worcs, P111. KEMPSEY entry :-There is a mission church at Kerswell Green with 72 sittings and a Baptist chapel here.
Kelly’s Directory 1912 Worcs, P 144. KEMPSEY entry :- a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1854. with 50 sittings, at Kerswell Green.
On the 1885-6 OS Worcestershire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1904 OS Worcestershire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)
On the 1928 OS Worcestershire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.
Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – Worcester – Kerswell Green (Kempsey) – Structure, B, Seating Accommodation 80, Type of Seating F, School Halls -, Other Rooms -.
These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 191. Worcester. George Street, Drakes Broughton, Sale Green, Wadborough, Kerswell Green (Kempsey), Malvern (Newtown Road).