Tenbury Wells Primitive Methodist Chapels 1863 & 1893

West side of Cross Street, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire

Tenbury 1863 PM Chapel end elevation 2014
R Beck
Tenbury 1863 South elevation 2014
R Beck
Tenbury 1893 Chapel entance elevation view to 1863 Chapel 2014
R Beck
Tenbury 1893 PM Chapel elevation from Cross Street 2014
R Beck
1893 Tenbury Wells Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 2000.
Keith Guyler 2000

Location GR – SO 59467 68129

 

The foundation stone of the first Chapel was laid on Thursday  16 April 1863. A full account appeared in the Hereford Times of Saturday 18 April 1863.

This original Chapel is still present on the North West of the site.

The new Chapel was built in 1893 (according to the foundation stones, four legible, two un-legible) parallel to Cross Street.

In 2014 it is still a place of Methodist worship.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1892 Worcs, P 212 Tenbury, A Primitive Methodist chapel also in Cross street, seating 150. 

Kelly’s Directory 1912 Worcs, P 270 Tenbury, A Primitive Methodist chapel also in Cross street, seating 150.

 

On the 1885 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904 OS Worcestershire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Sunday School

On the 1969 OS 1:2,500 map the building is marked as TenburyMethodistChurch

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.

Comments about this page

  • The laying of the memorial stones for the new chapel is recorded in the October 1893 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 638). The old chapel, erected 30 years previously, was “insufficient to meet the needs of the church and locality”.

    By Christopher Hill (25/06/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *