Quinton Primitive Methodist chapel
College Road QUinton
The foundation stone of The Quinton Primitive Methodist chapel in Halesowen parish was laid on June 20th 1840 and the chapel opened on opened on 8th November 1840.
Bethesda chapel which measured 32′ x 24′ and cost £301 16s 4½d, replaced a barn at Monckton Farm previously used as a chapel. There was a gallery, kitchen, parlour and workshop.
In the Ecclesiastical Census (30 March 1851) there were 214 adults and 222 Sunday School scholars at Primitive Chapel.
Bourne College, one of Primitive Methodism’s two boarding schools, opened in Quinton in 1882; Governor, Rev George Middleton, became the first minister resident in Quinton. Bourne College closed in 1928.
In 1888 a second Primitive Methodist Chapel (“College Road”) opened to replace the 1840 building. It was located directly opposite the entrance to the school and the laying of the foundation stones is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine
College Road Prim chapel became Quinton Methodist church after Union.
The 1888 chapel was demolished following the compulsory purchase of the College Road premises for building of the M5 motorway.
Primitive Methodist magazine Jan 1842
Primitive Methodist magazine Sept 1888 page 571