Anlaby Primitive Methodist chapel

Rev Monkman tells us through the Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of a replacement Primitive Methodist chapel in Anlaby.  I cannot see a Primitive Methodist chapel on the 1888 Ordnance Survey map: where was this chapel and what happened to it?

This is Rev Monkman’s account:

“Chapel Opening, Anlaby —Anlaby is a village situate four miles west of Hull, remarkable for its beautiful scenery, and ornamented by the mansions of the wealthy, many of whom reside in the locality. Several years ago the place was missioned by Mr. C. Bowman, of Hull, and others, who for some time had to encounter opposition ; but eventually souls were saved, the cause was firmly established, and a small chapel erected for the worship of God.

This place of worship having become too small, efforts were made to obtain a more suitable sanctuary. A very eligible plot of ground in the centre of the village was generously presented to the trustees by Mr. Wm. Capes, of Anlaby, and the foundation stone of the new chapel was laid, under the most auspicious circumstances, by Mrs. Norman, of Somerset House, Hull.

The structure having been completed, was opened for the worship of God, November the 29th, when impressive sermons were preached by the Rev. C. Kendall and Mr. S. Hodge. On the following Sabbath appropriate sermons were preached by the Rev. J. R. Parkinson, of Driffield, and Mr. T. Bell. The services were well attended, and pervaded by holy influences.

On Monday evening, December 7th, a public meeting was held, the chair being occupied by Mr. W. Capes, the donor of the site, who, in a speech which riveted the attention of the audience, recounted the toils and triumphs of Primitive Methodism in Anlaby. Addresses suited to the occasion were afterwards delivered by the Revs. R. W. Monkman and J. R. Parkinson.

The chapel is a very neat structure, and furnishes sittings for about 100 per sons. The cost of its erection amounts to £150, of which sum more than £75 have been received or promised. R. W. Monkman.”

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1864  page 237

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.