Ayton Primitive Methodist chapel

Stokesley circuit

Ayton is a small village at the foot of Roseberry Topping.  It was missioned by William Clowes in 1822 and a small Primitive Methodist chapel opened soon afterwards.  It offered limited comfort, having a lime and gravel floor, and in 1853 it was adapted and re-opened.

The Primitive Methodist magazine of January 1854 has an account by Samuel Nettleton of the re-opening of the chapel on Sunday November 13th 1853. The reopening services were taken by Mr R Clapham of Yarm, Mr Richatson of Faceby, E. Aldess, Thomas Richardson, J Baynes, Samuel Nettleton and “a Wesleyan friend”.

Ordnance Survey maps of 1856 and 1894 show the Primitive Methodist chapel in what is now (Great) Ayton on Guisborough Road, just north of the bridge, on the other side of the road to the parish church. However it has disappeared from the 1915 map. Is this the chapel?  There is nothing obvious on Google Street View of 2011.


Primitive Methodist magazine January 1854 pp. 50-51


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.