The Primitive Methodist magazine, MW tells us about the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel in Barnsley in 1847. In fact they bought a former Wesleyan chapel for 500 guineas. It was substantial, measuring 56′ x 45’4″, and with a gallery, large vestry and two smaller rooms.
It re-opened from March 7th 1847 ; speakers included Rev T Capp (Wesleyan), T King, J Verity, Rev WH Stowell, President of Masborough College, Rev J Maclean (Wesleyan) and W Jefferson. Mr Jefferson, along with Mr Verity, had gone round collecting door to door.
We know that this was not the first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Barnsley as they retained their previous chapel as a school room.
The 1867 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us about the re-opening of Barnsley Primitive Methodist chapel after the ceiling fell in.
“Dear Editor,— About three months ago we were necessitated to close this excellent sanctuary, as the ceiling had fallen down and rendered it inconvenient for a place of worship. When examined by the architect, it was found that the laths and part of the ceiling joists had decayed, and that a new ceiling and other requisites were absolutely necessary. As we had just expended a considerable sum in cleaning, painting, and other improvements in the chapel , which were nearly all in vain by the fall of the ceiling, we appealed to the Christian public to assist us in meeting the cost of the unexpected repairs.
Now we are happy to state that the appeal was not in vain ; the public have honourably responded, and the congregation who worship in the above place have liberally contributed, so that by these united efforts a noble sum has been raised.
Though the repairs are not fully completed, yet we re-opened the chapel for Divine service on Sunday, July 28th, when sermons were preached by the Rev. C. Smith, of Bradford, and G. Brown, Esq., of Monk Bretton. On Sunday, August 4th, the re-opening services were continued, when the Rev. T. Mitchell, of Elmfield College, York, preached in the morning ; the Rev. 0. T. Taylor (Wesleyan), Barnsley, in the afternoon ; and H. Lodge, Esq., of Halifax, in the evening.
On Monday, August 5th, a tea meeting was held in the school-room. After tea, a public meeting was held in the chapel, when several animated and practical addresses were delivered by the circuit ministers, several of the local preachers, and Mr. Hume (Wesleyan). The report read at the opening of the meeting showed the liberality of the friends, who had raised about £80 by donations and collections. But as this is not sufficient to defray the expense, which is about £130, the friends at the public meeting, being greatly excited by the touching speeches, the beautiful ceiling, the superior lights, and other improvements of the chapel, resolved, if possible, by the assistance of the Christian public, to defray the remainder of the cost of the present repairs and alterations.
Therefore, in their animated state, they culled out from various parts of the chapel the sums they would give, when £14 2s. 6d. was promised towards clearing off the remainder of the tradesmen’s bills. God having given us favour in the eyes of the people, and cleared our way thus far, we trust he will continue to do so in the future. We may add that the chapel is now beautifully lighted from the ceiling, and that when the painting is completed, the interior will present a neat, handsome, and comfortable aspect. A. Worsnop.”
Where was this chapel and what happened to it?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1847 page 375
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1867 page 621