The laying of the foundation stone of Batley Carr Primitive Methodist chapel is set out in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1864.
The church was established in 1863 using a room in Robin Lane. A chapel was built in Upper Road between 1863-1864 and subsequently enlarged in 1903.
The church closed between 1959-1960 and the building was used by the Church of Christ 1968 and by 1979 was used as an arts centre. In 2002 the building was used as Dewsbury Little Theatre. It is still that on Street View in 2015, but looking sad and in need of some maintenance.
“Foundation stone laying, Dewsbury Circuit.—The foundation stone of the Batley Carr new chapel was laid on Monday, December 28th, 1863, by T. Stead, Esq., of Heckmondwike, who delivered an appropriate address, and placed ,£10 10s. on the stone. The Rev. R. Smith, of Bradford, preached a short and suitable sermon ; after which about 200 persons adjourned to the Wesleyan school room, and partook of an excellent tea, gratuitously provided by the friends.
After tea a public meeting was held in the Wesleyan chapel; which, with the school room, was obligingly placed at our service. The chair was taken by T. Stead, Esq. Addresses were delivered by the Revs. R. Smith, J. Mitchell, S. B. Reynolds, J. Ayrton, Messrs. J. Bedford, R. Daltry, and Jas. Mitchell. The Batley choir rendered efficient service. The proceeds of the day amounted to upwards of £27.
The chapel will be a substantial stone building, 12 yards by 14, with school room underneath, 27 feet by 33 feet, also a house, parlour and vestry. There will be a cove at the back for orchestra, 8 feet by 12 feet, under which will be a preachers’ vestry, just at the back of the platform. The chapel will be well lighted by ten circular headed windows, 10 feet 6 inches in depth, and glazed with ground glass. The total cost will be about £700, and we hope by all efforts to raise £300 at least. S. B. Reynolds.”