Battyeford Primitive Methodist chapel
119-121 Nab Lane WF14 9QJ
On Nab Lane, just east of its junction with Stocks Bank Road, is the former Battyeford Primitive Methodist chapel building. It still carries its Primitive Methodist label which includes the date 1865. The building is in residential use in 2019.
There’s an article about the laying of the foundation stone at what is called Battyford Primitive Methodist chapel in the Huddersfield circuit. This took place in May 1863 – two years before the date on the chapel itself. In the Primitive Methodist magazine for 1864 there is an account of the actual opening in February 1864 – still a year before the date on the building itself.
BATTYFORD, HUDDERSFIELD CIRCUIT.— Foundation Stone Laying. — The foundation-stone of a new chapel and school was laid on Whit Tuesday, at Battyford, in the Huddersfield Circuit. The weather was everything that could be desired, and seemed to smile most graciously upon the project.
Our highly esteemed friend, H. J. M’Culloch, Esq., of York, laid the stone and in his observations on the ground, and when presiding over the meeting in the evening, gave utterance to sentiments which were full of vigour, and which were heartily echoed by the people.
The Revs. J. Simpson (Halifax); T. Newell (Leeds) ; J. Cameron (Independent) ; H. S. Albrecht (Baptist) : R. Brook, T. Dearlove, the Huddersfield choir, the ” Ladies and Gentlemen,” indeed, all who came together on the occasion, seemed to vie with each other in contributing to the sum of happiness and success, and as a necessary consequence, each of them took away his respective share of good. The writer has authority to say that the whole of the friends who helped us are hereby heartily thanked, but, especially our friend H. J. M’Culloch, Esq., whose gift of £25 10s. brought up the proceeds of the day to the noble sum of £58. T. Dearlove.
“Battyeford Chapel, Huddersfield Station.—On February 28th, &c., this chapel was opened for Divine worship. The chapel is 12 by 16 yards, having rostrum, communion, an elevation containing 44 pews, and ample accommodation in free seats. There is a good school room underneath the chapel, 33 ft. square ; also there are two class rooms on the same floor, and a boiler room, with all requisite fittings.
The entire cost is £700. We have raised upwards of £250, and there are about £30 more promised. There are also the profits (if any) to arise out of the sale of the old chapel. It is intended that not more than £400 shall remain as a debt. H. J. McCulloch, Esq., with his wonted liberality, gave us £30 10s.; the late John North, Esq., £15; James Blackburn, Esq., £15. Mr. H. D. Healey (Ashton-under-Lyne), gave us plans, &c. Messrs. Shaw and Son, Mrs. Lister, and many others, aid us liberally. May this chapel be a ” Bethel” to hundreds in years to come. T. Dearlove”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 630 – 631
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 626