Bingley Primitive Methodist chapel
Where the residents are not as lovely and attractive as the scenery
The Primitive Methodist magazine for September 1854 contains an account by John Simpson of the opening of Bingley Primitive Methodist chapel in the Keighley circuit.
Mr Simpson waxes lyrical about Airedale with its “splendid river teeming with fish and glittering in the sunshine.” He is not however impressed by the people: “agitations, controversies and strife, trading, political and religious, Sabbath desecration, drunkenness and infidelity fearfully prevail.” So much for the idea that the contemplation of nature “will mellow and purify the heart of man”.
The first chapel was built in 1843 under the superintendency of S Charlton. In 1854 with Mr Hedley as Superintendent, they decided to build a replacement and Mr Parrot purchased a piece of land with many good things but a debt of £90. The first stone was laid by C Rhodes of Bradford in August 1853 and the building was opened on July 9th and 16th 1854. Sermons “of varied excellency” were preached by Messrs Macpherson, Sanderson, Orgar and Simpson.
The chapel is 39′ square “with a handsome orchestra and commodious vestry”. Funding met a problem because of “the great and unlooked for blight which fell on the trade of the neighbourhood soon after the commencement of the building”. Special thanks were due to J Harrison, printer and bookseller.
In 1897 the chapel underwent a thorough renovation and was re-opened at Eastertide.
The National Archives refer to Zion Primitive Methodist chapel on York Street, Bingley. York Street has been redeveloped and there is no sign of the chapel now and it is not labelled on old Ordnance Survey maps. Can anyone clarify?
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1854 pp.558-559
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1897 page 395