Bishop Wilton Primitive Methodist chapel

Pocklington circuit: Main Street YO42 1TF

Bishop Wilton Primitive Methodist chapel

William Howcroft tells us about the re-opening of Bishop Wilton Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1839 Primitive Methodist magazine. It replaced a previous old, cold and damp chapel. The new chapel was elevated at one end and “has 60 good sittings all let”.

Opening services started on August 19th 1838 and were conducted by Bro Davison and Miss Brown.

Mr King of Warton gave £5 towards the cost.

The 1892 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Main Street, where the village shop is located on Street View in 2009. The shop building has the look of a chapel and on the front, in the centre, is a blocked out rectangular tablet that could have been a date stone.  Was this the 1838 chapel?  What’s the story?


Primitive Methodist magazine 1839 page 98

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.