Bradford Smith Lane - Daisy Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel West Yorkshire
This building was erected in 1902
The first chapel here was built some time around 1835. This chapel has been demolished and the place where it stood can be seen in Photo No.1. Later in 1877 a Sunday School was built in Daisy Hill Back Lane. In December 2016 this building remains and for the last thirty years has been a dwelling. (Photo Nos 2 & 3). The 1877 chapel and the Sunday School were in close proximity and a graveyard also occupied the site.
It is presumed that the demolition of the first chapel coincided with the building of the new one in 1902. (Photo Nos 4-6) This is a large impressive construction now sadly closed for worship. Closure probably took place in the mid 1980s but in 2016 it had already been converted into apartments.
The graveyard area has been partially landscaped.(Photo No.9) Some grave stones stand erect while others are propped up against the boundary wall. One of those standing commemorates the ‘Greenwoods’ a family deeply committed to the Primitive Methodist Society in Smith Lane.
Photos taken December 2016
OS Map Ref:104:SE132347