Bramham Primitive Methodist chapel
Front St, Bramham LS23 6RD
Early Primitive Methodist buildings often combined a combination of purposes. For example, an account might declare that the building incorporated a cottage. At Bramham in 1864, they decided to do something about it.
On the Ordnance Survey map of 1893, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Front Street, opposite the end of Clifford Road. On Street View (undated) it is Bramham Village Stores.. The building footprint is the same as the former chapel: is it the same building? What’s the visual evidence?
This is the magazine account:
“Re-opening of Bramham Chapel, Tadcaster Circuit.—There was a house under the gallery, occupying most of what should have been the body of the chapel ; but the improved state of the society and congregation recently encouraged us to take steps to alter this, and altogether it is now a very comfortable sanctuary. The total cost of the alterations is £58.
The re-opening services took place on Sabbath December 18th, 1864, and following days. We have realised by bazaar, £33 3s. 10d. ; by donations etc. , £7 3s. 2d. ; by collections, £4 8s. ; by tea, £4 11s. 6d. ; total, £49 6s. 6d. We have other promises to come in, which we expect will cover the cost. T. Giles.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1865 page 316