Bramley Moriah Primitive Methodist chapel
The Crescent, off Upper Town Street, Bramley LS13 2EP
Bramley Moriah Primitive Methodist chapel was one of three Methodist chapels within a stone’s throw of each other in the centre of Town Street, the others being Wesley Place and Brunswick. In 1956 these three congregations came together under the one roof to form the current Trinity Methodist society.
Moriah and its Sunday School building was sited up a narrow alley called The Crescent, which lay off Upper Town Street, just to the west of Wesley Terrace. It is approximately where Wesley Close is. West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds holds records between 1869-1956.
The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1835 contains an account by W Taylor of the opening of an earlier Primitive Methodist chapel in Bramley. The opening services on January 25th and 29th 1835 were addressed by Rev Ely (Independent minister) and Messrs Barker, King, Sanderson & Watson.
The 1835 chapel was large, seating 500 and with a “commodious” room under the chapel for Sunday school.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 p.311