Brighouse Lane Head Primitive Methodist chapel
Halifax Road Brighouse HD6 2EA
Primitive Methodists established cottage meetings in Brighouse from 1844 and by 1855 were holding meetings in the Oddfellows Hall. The first Lane Head chapel was built in 1864 at a cost of £811 and incorporated an existing toll house.
Brighouse Lane Head Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1889 and served until Brighouse Central Methodist church emerged in 1982. It replaced a previous chapel and was demolished in 1985.
The opening of the chapel, which was in the Sowerby Bridge station, was reported in the September 1889 Primitive Methodist magazine. In the January 1889 magazine there is a note of the laying of memorial stones for new school accommodation at Brighouse. Is that all part of the same scheme?
Street View from 2009 – 2021 shows modern housing on the site, at the junction of Waterloo Road with Halifax Road.
Colin Dews tells us that the architect was Thomas Howdrill
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1889 page 59
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1889 page 571