Brotherton Primitive Methodist chapel

Brotherton Primitive Methodist chapel

The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1862 contains a list of places where the foundation stone for a new Primitive Methodist chapel had been recently laid. Amongst them was the foundation stone for Brotherton Primitive Methodist chapel. This account is written by W Bennett.

Brotherton, Pontefract Circuit.—For more than thirty years the Primitive Methodists of Brotherton have been subject to inconvenience for want of a connexional chapel. We have now a prospect of supplying this lack. On the 28th of May, 1862, the foundation stone of a new chapel was laid by Joseph Tate, Esq., of Wentbridge, when an appropriate address was delivered by the Rev. R. Smith, of the Leeds first circuit, after which tea was taken, and a public meeting was held in the Independent chapel, (kindly lent for the occasion.) Capt. J. Arnold presided, and addresses were delivered by the Revs. R. Smith, J. Tate, J. Mesby, and the circuit ministers. The collections, &c, for the day, were £10 3s. 10½d. W. Bennett.”

They opened the chapel four months later.

“On the 7th and. 14th of September, 1862, we opened our new chapel at this place. W. Briggs, Esq., of Leeds, and H. J. McCulloch, Esq., of York, preached on the former date, and the Rev. H. Simon (Independent), J. Tate, Esq., and the Rev. E. Jones, Wesleyan, on the latter. On the fifteenth about two hundred and fifty persons partook of an excellent tea in the chapel, and in the evening we held a public meeting at which Capt. Arnold presided, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. J. Mosby, T. Atha, T. Thornton, and the circuit ministers.

The plans and specifications of the chapel were presented to the trustees, by Mr. J. Night, architect, of London, and competent judges regard the chapel as a neat, convenient, and substantial building. It is well lighted and ventilated, is calculated to seat one hundred and sixty, and will cost (including a cottage which we were obliged to take in the purchase) £250. From all sources we have realized £90 ; and as the cottage is let at £3 per annum, and every seat in the pews is taken, the premises are placed in easy circumstances.”

The 1892 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel at the Southern end of Main Street, standing back to back with the Congregational (now United Reform chapel) on Old Great North Road. The Prim chapel site has been turned to housing.

 Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1862 page 696

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1863 page 113

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *