The 1877 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Brotton in the Guisborough station.
We are told nothing more. However, the Christian Messenger here tells us a lot more about the early growth of Primitive Methodism in Brotton in Cleveland. For example, “During the erection of the chapel the retaining wall, buiIt to secure the foundation, gave way and had to be rebuilt at a cost of some hundreds of pounds, and the contractor became bankrupt”
The 1915 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Wilson Street, next to a cinema and overlooking the railway. Street View in 2009 shows the site as neatly mown grassland.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1877 page 569
Christian Messenger 1899/45