Burn-Cross Primitive Methodist chapel
Chapel Road, Burncross, Sheffield
The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1852 contains an account by W Lea of the opening of Burn-Cross Primitive Methodist chapel. Burn Cross, six miles north of Sheffield, is described as “beautifully situated in the midst of hill and dale, wood and lawn… While possessing many natural beauties, it has been comparatively destitute of moral ones.”
A small society was established around thirty years earlier which met in cottages. A burst of enthusiasm in 1851 led to the opening of a new chapel on November 30th 1851. . Opening sermons were preached by G Chambers (Wesleyan), L Holliday, M Norton, W Richardson. Congregations were large and collections generous.
The new chapel measured 30′ x 24′ inside, was built of stone with a blue slate roof and had ” a good stove and chandelier”. It cost £150 of which £100 had been raised. The society was starting a Sunday school.
W Smith drew up the deeds for no fee and notable donations came from T Newton, G Chambers, J Chambers, J Copley and J Hutchinson.
The chapel was located next to the Crown & Cushion pub on Chapel Rd. In time the chapel was knocked down and 3 houses built in its place
The Sheffield History website is trying to gather pictures of all the former Methodist chapels in Sheffield. There is a picture of Burncross Primitive Methodist chapel; click here to see the page. However, several sites give the date 1865 for this building, so it may be the same location or building as the 1851 chapel. We’ll find out when we reach the 1865 volume of the Primitive Methodist magazine!
Sheffield History website accessed February 2nd 2017 http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1852 p.179