Butwith (Bubwith) Primitive Methodist chapel

Main St Bubwith YO8 6LT

Butwith (Bubwith) Primitive Methodist chapel

We are told by JR Parkinson about the laying of the foundation stone for Butwith Primitive |Methodist chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1863. There is no place I can find called Butwith in the e specified area, but there is Bubwith, which fits exactly.

On Street View in 2016 the chapel has been converted to residential use.

Butwith, Selby Branch. Butwith is a neat, well built, and flourishing village, fourteen miles from the city of York, and seven miles distant from Selby, containing a population of 650, while the inhabitants of the parish, including the hamlets around, amount to 1,350. Nearly forty years ago the place was missioned by some of the first Primitive Methodist preachers. A society was formed, and, through the kindness of the late Mr. G. Smith, a place of worship was fitted up ; but owing to various causes, the place was left off the plan fifteen years ago.

In May, 1862, Butwith was remissioned by the writer, who proclaimed in the streets of the village the Word of life. A society was formed, and by the kindness of Mr. T. Pratt, a barn was fitted up for Divine worship. Three Camp Meetings were held in the place during the summer months, and much good was done. The numbers of those desirous of worshipping with us continuing to increase, the cry of Zion was, ” Give us room that we may dwell.” At this period, Messrs. R. Longhorn and M. Thompson offered to mould the bricks gratuitously for the erection of a chapel, and Mr. Burt, of Gunby, having generously given us the cloy required for the purpose, the foundation stone of the new chapel was laid by W. Briggs, Esq., of Leeds, on Thursday, the 10th of October, 1862, on a site of ground in a most eligible situation, which was granted to us by Mr. George Smith, the son of the late Mr. G. Smith, who for many years had entertained the ministers of our denomination, and in other ways aided the cause of God.

The service was commenced by singing,— ” Except the Lord conduct the plan,” A prayer was then offered by the writer, and the foundation stone containing various documents was properly laid in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Suitable addresses were then delivered by Messrs. W. Briggs, T. Waumsley, and others; after which, the company proceeded to a large granary, lent by Mrs. Hepton for the occasion, where 240 per sons persons partook of a tea gratuitously and abundantly provided by friends of the cause.

A most enthusiastic and excellent public meeting was afterwards held in the Wesleyan chapel. W. Briggs, Esq., presided, with his usual ability, and addresses, which were listened to with the greatest interest by the crowded audience, were delivered by the Rev. T. Waumsley, Mr. J. Dodsworth, Jun., the writer, and others.

The collections for the day, with the proceeds of the tea meeting, including a donation of £5 by Mr. Briggs, amount to £’24, making a total of £70 already received or promised in aid of the building fund. The chapel is designed to seat about 180 persons, and numerous accessions by the conversion of sinners to God have recently been made to the society, for whose use it is being erected. J. R. Parkinson.”

A later account describes the opening:

“Bubwith, Selby Branch, Chapel Opening. — During the last nine years five new chapels have been erected in the Selby Branch, at a total cost of £2,155 3s.2d.,ofwhich sum £1,089 15s. 5d. have been contributed. The last of the above number was opened at Bubwith, April the 3rd and following days, by a series of services, in which Capt. McCulloch, of York, the Revs. C. Procter, W. San derson, J. R. Parkinson, and T. Waumslev, with Messrs. J. Dodsworth, O. Smith, W. Empeon, W. Middlebrook, and T. Pratt took part.

The chapel is beautified for situation, and furnishes sittings for 204 persons. The pews are all let, and more are wanted. It is lighted by six windows, all of ground glass with coloured margins, by which means the light is equalised and modified, instead of that alternate glare and gloom so frequently experienced in places of worship. The wood work is stained and varnished, and the walls are boarded a proper height, while the form of the pulpit and the arrangement of the pews give to the interior a very neat and chaste appearance.

The total costs of the erection amount to £200, towards which sum £130 have been given. The thanks of the trustees are hereby tendered to Mr. Burtt for the clay of which the bricks were made ; to Messrs.  R. Longhorn and M. Thompson for making the same ; to the ladies for providing tea for 600 people, and supplying articles for the bazaar ; to Mr. T. Pratt for drawing the plans and specifications and for a donation of £5 ; and to all other friends who  have assisted.

Twelve months ago we had no cause in Bubwith ; since that period, by the blessing of God, a society has been formed of twenty-five members, and the above-named house of prayer has been erected. J. R. Parkinson.”

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1863 page 239

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1863 page 560

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *